pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Variable "hai_001_unitxxx_description" not populating

Sun May 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Is there a reason why this variable is not being populated? The "monitor" checkbox is checked. I tried it with a few units, and it is not being populated by the agent. Any ideas?

Is anyone having this problem?

Thanks in advance.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: Variable "hai_001_unitxxx_description" not populating

Sun May 09, 2010 8:47 pm

There is not reason that variable should get singled out. Try changing the description on the panel and then watch the HAI Agent event logs to see if it sees the description change and see if it complains about something.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon May 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Dave,

I added some new “units” in the HAI PCAccess software (along with descriptions) and loaded them to the Omni Pro II controller. In addition, I added descriptions to some existing units and flags. In both cases, although the units and flags names did populate as variables, the descriptions did not. The HAI agent event log does not show anything in regards to trying to capture the descriptions.

Is this a bug?

Thanks

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Might be that the HAI dll is not giving me the data. I'll have to look. I have descr variables but they may be hanging around from an old test.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue May 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi Dave,

Yes, definitely something is going on there. In addition to the descriptions issue, I am also noticing that a few variable are also not populating. for example, I added a few "flags" in PC Access and loaded to controller. Out of the 8 or so flags, one (number 428 on PC Access) did not get recognized by HAI agent.

Additionally, I am also looking to capture "time left" variable in some X-10 extended commands. For example, if a HLC light is triggerred to turn on for -say 2 minutes, the HAI Omni panel (and console) shows a countdown of time remaining before the light shuts off again. When time remaining becomes 0, the light shuts down. All this while, the countdown keeps showing on the HAI console. Make sense? So my question is - Is this "time countdown" captured in any variable by the agent?

Thanks for looking into this as I eagerly await your assessment.

Thanks in advance.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Tue May 11, 2010 10:36 pm

I have noted that the names and descriptions only update after an HAI agent restart rather than real time.

On the unit timer, that is an internal timer to HAI and not exposed to the driver.
Thanks
Dave Bruner
:shock:

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed May 12, 2010 10:36 am

I have noted that the names and descriptions only update after an HAI agent restart rather than real time.
In my case, even after the agent restart, the names do populate, but descriptions do not. I wonder why the inconsistency here.
On the unit timer, that is an internal timer to HAI and not exposed to the driver.
Is there a way to capture this in the agent (or a workaround)? I use HAI panel for many automation chores and then feed them into the MLServer. This is useful to me since I can then control many functions directly from the HAI console if desired. Additionally, I have the two way X-10 version of Rain8 sprinkler unit that has been working flawlessly with HAI Omni panel for last several years. So it was easy for me to just use those variables to setup irrigation scenes. But I am unable to get feedback for things like "time remaining" in MLS from HAI. Any suggestions or workaround will be appreciated.

Thanks

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Pete -
Just to verify; you are using the TCP version of the driver? Also, what HAI firmware version are you running? That may have something to do with the inconsistencies.

Concerning the Rain8. I use the just relays connected to HAI outputs and it works with out an issue. I am currently in the process of doing nearly the same as what you want to accomplish. I want to know within ML/MLS the zone status, time started, time left and so on along with gaining control via touchscreen.

The easy way to do this is to buy a RAIN8 net, connect it to your server and use the irrigation module. The second way is to ask Mario and Dave to do a driver add on for the irrigation module for HAI, which I have been asking for.

What I do currently is I trigger an HAI flag when a zone starts, which triggers a timer in MLS and I use that data for the screen display control. Works, but not optimal. What I am thinking about doing is using control states, mltimer and mlschedule to do all control from within MLS and have HAI just monitor everything. HAI would control max run time in the event of a computer failure.

I will keep you updated.
Thanks
Dave Bruner

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed May 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Just to verify; you are using the TCP version of the driver? Also, what HAI firmware version are you running?
Yes, I am using the TCP version of the driver. The firmware is also the latest (3.4). I just updated it a month ago. The dealer PCAccess version is also the latest as of a month ago.
The easy way to do this is to buy a RAIN8 net, connect it to your server and use the irrigation module. The second way is to ask Mario and Dave to do a driver add on for the irrigation module for HAI, which I have been asking for.
Yeah, I agree that RAIN8 net makes sense. But since it will be connected directly to MLServer PC (and not the HAI Omni), wouldn’t I lose the ability to control RAIN8 DIRECTLY from HAI panel? I want to be able to walk to the HAI security panel, and "run" a button command to start - say a sprinkler program. if I connect the RAIN8 net to MLS, I don't think I can do what I stated here. I wanted to keep the 2-way synch, therefore I thought better to have the HAI Omni controller be the gateway for this to MLServer. Maybe Mario and Dave can do the driver add-on that you mentioned.
What I do currently is I trigger an HAI flag when a zone starts, which triggers a timer in MLS and I use that data for the screen display control. Works, but not optimal.
Yes, this is a great idea, and will work for me (for now). This way, I can display the time left etc. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction here.

If you have any other thoughts on my problems with capturing description variables, please let me know. Maybe DaveP can identify the issue here...

Thanks again !

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 pm

That is why I use the HAI panel for irrigation. The panel has been running for 8 years and never has failed once. My PC does not have that same track record. My opinion always has been that critical items like flooding your yard, burning your pump out or ruining your landscaping should not be left in the hands of a PC. I will let you know my progress.
Thanks
Dave Bruner

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed May 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Dave,

Yes, sounds like we are on the same page on this. Lool forward to hearing how you make out. Please let us know.

Thanks a bunch again.

Return to “MLHAI”