pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Dune HD Media Player Driver

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Dave,

Thanks...tried these, and still not working for me. Seems like all commands I am sending (via url or via mainlobby interface) are correct. The spaces have also been removed, but the play command doesn't take. If I play the movie manually from Dune remote, I can control (stop, ffd etc) via mainlobby remote.

On another note, if I simply typed my Dune IP in the browser, what should I be seeing? Right now, when I type 192.168.1.152 in the browser, I get the "404" error. Not sure if this is related.

Also, as EUROTECH suggested, II am attaching a snapshot of the Content Manager as well.

Thanks
Attachments
Content Mgr Screen Shot.jpg
Content Mgr Screen Shot.jpg (165.07 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:22 pm

To answer your 1st question, the movies are stored in my ML Server machine ( TServer) which is a windows xp machine. I am using SMB.

Thanks

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:49 pm

The associated player should be the dune. I suspect the command set you have for "AVfamily" associated player is not aware of the commands required for the dune. It should look like this in the appropriate places.

Content manager:
cm.PNG
cm.PNG (16.92 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Device manager (view if setup correctly)
familydevice.PNG
familydevice.PNG (29.59 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Family Manager under AV:
fm.PNG
fm.PNG (25.96 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks Art...

In my comntent manager, I do have "AV Family" assigned as the Associated Player. I thought the player should be kept as AV Family - is that not so? I am also playing the same movies in another location via PowerDVD - so that's why AV Family for the player.

Anyways, to test it further, I changed the player to "AV8" or even "Dune" for a couple of movies and tried - still doesn't work. All other settings and ports (as you show in your snapshots) are correct as well. Do I need to define a new "remote" in DVDLobby for Dune?

Thanks

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:59 am

It really has nothing to do with the setup in DVDLobby or Family Manager at this point in time. Since you cannot command it to play a movie via the web interface all the issues are Dune related. What version firmware does your Dune have installed?

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 am

Dave,

Travelling again this week, so I will get back with this on Friday. But I did update the firmware as a first thing when I installed it in my environment about two weeks back - so it should be up to date. I will report back on the exact version number when I get back home.

If you have a few minutes next weekend, can you please remote into my system - just to make sure no other anomalies are there? I will appreciate it.

Thanks

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:50 pm

I made good progress over the last few days, although still not there yet. Dave nudged me in the direction of looking at possible issues with Windows XP – this helped me make good progress. It seems that the “share directories” don’t properly work with XP and Dune, but with some work, I think I can get it to function.

Some background:
I had created my share folder in Dune (with same name as my PC Shares) “manually” via pop-up menu (as mentioned in some posts earlier). This was necessary because Dune wasn’t automatically picking up my share folders from my XP machine (although it was picking these up successfully from the Vista and Win7 machines). All my movies reside on the XP machine shares.

By doing so, I could access all my folders and movies from the Dune interface, and play them. However, nothing would play from the MainLobby interface, or via the browser commands. So this didn’t help.

Issues:
I found that there were two issues with my shares (although all permissions and security was correctly assigned):

1. Windows XP did not “lock” the workgroup as “WORKGROUP”, and kept changing it automatically to “MSHome” by itself. After a few re-starts, it seems it is holding properly (at least for now).
2. The workgroup in the Dune Player was shown as “dune”, which I changed to “WORKGROUP” as well.

After fixing the above two issues, all my XP share folders and files showed up under the “WORKGROUP” folder within Dune. But in order to access these the first time (from the Dune), I had to enter my username and password (for the XP machine) for each folder (Video, Music etc). I was then able to successfully play the movies via MainLobby interface. So this is all good progress.

Problem:
As EUROTECH had mentioned before, even though the movies play fine via MainLobby interface, each time the Dune is powered off, the play command does NOT take from the MainLobby interface. I have to manually go into the Movie folder from the Dune interface, then the play command works from the MainLobby each time – until I power off the Dune. Any idea what I need to do to fix this issue? It may have something to do with when I had to put username and password in Dune earlier – but not sure. I changed the registry setting as was mentioned in an earlier post, but no luck.

Thanks in advance.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Still banging my head against the wall. When the power is turned off, and then back on, all the share drives show “disconnected” (popup menu --> information). Once I “manually” access the share drive (from Dune player), the share drive “connects” again, and then the play commands from browser or MainLobby interface work again. This result is consistent regardless of Windows XP, Vista or 7.

It seems that the problem may be related to the following information (directly from the Dune website):

"Stopping Connected Drives:
When the player goes into the standby mode (or when the player is switched off using the RC), the player sends "stop" command to all connected drives. This is done in order to decrease power consumption and reduce noise when the player and the connected devices are not used.
When the player leaves the standby mode or when it is switched on again, the connected drives start working again.
If the player is in standby mode, and it needs to access the stopped drive (e.g. because access from the network via SMB or FTP is performed), the drive will automatically resume its operation.
Some connected drives may not properly cooperate with the player in respect to stopping/ resuming, in particular, when entering/exiting the standby or power-off mode. This may depend on a particular drive model and also on the exact way how the drive is connected to the player and how the power is provided to the drive. It is not recommended to use such drive models. If proper handling of these things is important, it is recommended to learn or test in advance whether a particular drive model works correctly with the player."

It seems that when the power is turned off in my Dune player (standby mode), it “disconnects” from all share drives. But it never “connects” back on power-on, until I manually go into each share from Dune. After this, when I go to the “information” for that share, it shows connected again.
This is driving me crazy – does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Check the settings in your dune and make sure you did not name the dune with ANY name matching that of a PC, server, or otherwise on your network. I found that I had unknowingly done that and caused myself a whole lot of grief. It causes random network issues and disconnects and will altogether drive you insane.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Other thoughts: Setup your Dune to auto-recover on power failure -

Automatic power-on mode

Dune HD models starting with Dune HD Smart/Max/Duo do not boot automatically when the power is connected. Instead they are put by default into hardware standby mode, and wait for the user to explicitly request power-on.

Dune HD Smart D1/B1/H1 (latest batches only, shipped starting with June-2011, serial number on the unit should be ASD1LHVAA***1123***00001 or greater), Dune HD Lite 53D, Dune HD TV-101/301 models can be reprogrammed to boot automatically on power-on. This possibility is helpful when the player should be used in "Digital Signage" (Dune HD Network) mode, and it can also be helpful in some other cases. Reprogramming affects the flash memory of the microcontroller which is responsible for power on/off handling, and can be done in the following way:

- Put the unit into hardware standby (full power-off) mode.
- Carefully direct the RC onto the IR eye.
- Carefully press the following sequence of RC buttons:
P, O, W, E, R, 1, ENTER
- The unit should LED-blink once. If the unit does not blink, try again
several times. If it does not work, it means the unit has an old version
of the MCU firmware and auto-power-on mode is not supported by the unit.
- To disable auto-power-on: the same, but press:
P, O, W, E, R, 0, ENTER

Additionally, I have setup my dune to power on the moment any client browses the movies section. That way I'm ahead of the game.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:08 am

So now that everything was fine. "Something" happened! Anyone with any ideas, please let me know. My dune has been skipping like a girl on the way to Sunday school. At first I thought it was a bad copy. Then I realized it was with all my movies. I have a gigabit backbone, so this shouldn't happen. First, the dune is on Ethernet wired. Same as always. I thought my media server was causing problems. So I used my NetCps utility that tosses a 100mb file from one pc to another. Every pc I send it to or from, and all permutations are 30-35 megabytes per second.
Then I ran the speed utility in the Dune. I get 450 Kbps. Yuk. So then I switched to wifi and I get 3 Megabytes per second! Although it still skips. The dune wants about 8. So I copied one ISO file to three different windows 7 boxes, one with a twin Sata NAS. Every file test yields the same ~ 450 Kbps. Yet if I put that ISO on a standalone Ethernet linked network Nas box, I get about 5-6 megabytes per second.

My router is less than a year old. And this problem just "appeared"
So frustrated. Also replaced Ethernet cable, switched ports on switch. Rebooted router, drank beer, pouted a bit...

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:20 am

I don't know if this will help, but I have 3 Dunes, wired and no issues.

I use SMB disk access from the Dune to a QNAP NAS - all wired, gigabit switch

I have my Dunes on the same switch as the NAS - all my movies are MKV encoded. I also have some ISO's but not many left as I have been converting them to MKV. I have a mixture of BlyRay's and standard DVD's.

In the Dunes, under miscellaneous setup, I have Fast Disk Access, Fast SMB Access enabled (I believe these are set to disabled as the default). I have HLS startup bandwidth high, buffering period for UDP multicast 2000 ms. I have a static IP set on all devices (no DHCP). I also have the output at 1080p 59.94MHz, 8 bit HDMI color depth.

I have the latest firmware installed on all Dunes. No stuttering or audio sync issues at all.

wrt the Dune only getting 450kbps, is it on the same switch as the movies?

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:30 am

Art
Sounds like you have mostly segmented the problem to the Dune. Any updates done lately? The Net Port in the Dune may be an issue. The only test that points to a network backbone issue is when you streamed from a direct NAS. I assume that the 5 to 6 meg stream was seen at the Dune Player.

Sound silly,but do this test as a sanity check - Turn everything on the network off with the exception of the NAS and the Dune. That would eliminate the possibility that some other machine is attempting to proxy or something stupid like that. You can also do a trace test to see actually where the stream is going.
Thanks
Dave Bruner
:shock:

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 am

I have a single 24 port Netgear gigabit switch. My entire network is on that one switch. I tried enabling those two options on the dune with smb and fast disk access, and tried various combinations of buffering. I was hoping to not have to take everything down, but it seems I'm going to have to put a small gigabit switch in and start with just a router, media server and dune, then go from there. Every network line I have ever added is tested 100%. Thanks for the input. Time to break it all down.
Forgot to add. I've tried every one of the last 5 firmware updates... Well beyond when I didn't notice any issues.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:37 am

I would literally unplug everything from the existing switch and leave the existing switch and router in place first. That way you can eliminate the possibility that these devices are causing the issue. If not located, one of those four devices is bad. If all gets resolved, start plugging everything back in one at a time. You will eventually locate the issue. I do not think it is a config issue as you said that you did not change any configs. I think you are going to locate a hardware issue our some rogue machine trying to control the world.
Thanks
Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”