AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

DirecTV IP Driver

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:14 pm

We have released a native DirecTVIP driver for MLServer 4. This driver is a replacement for the legacy MLDirecTVIP plugin. The new driver is a member of the AV family. You'll find the new command syntax in Command Builder. This driver is for all DirecTV set top boxes that can be controlled via IP. The driver has been updated to reflect the current DirecTV IP protocol. Customers with old DirecTV boxes that only support serial control will still need to use the legacy MLDirecTV plugin.

This driver is untested at the moment because we do not have DirecTV service. We need someone with DirecTV to test this driver for us and let us know how it works. If there are any issues with the driver I would then like to use your system for testing the driver.

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: DirecTV IP Driver

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Working great so far. Just setting up a couple of scenes and I can't seem to get the correct syntax to show the active
dvr show title to show. Thought the following would work.

{{directv_{{directv_activedvr_{{clientname}}}}_title}}~620~20

No issues so far. If you still have my log in credentials and want to do some testing, feel free to poke around.

Thanks for this driver!!
Stan

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:37 pm

It's a member of the AV family so all server variables will start with "AV_". Look for AV_<<id>>_Title and AV_<<id>>_EpisodeTitle

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Ok, got it and looked for those variables but can't find them. See below.
Attachments
DirecTV.PNG
DirecTV.PNG (47.23 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
AV Variables.PNG
AV Variables.PNG (83.21 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 pm

The DirecTV box doesn't like the URL I am using for getting the current program information. I'll have to see if I typed something wrong in the URL. If what I'm using matches the protocol doc then I'll have to remote in to experiment.

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Feel free to remote in anytime. Thanks Dave.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Can you email the username / password combo for Server1 (1)? I didn't keep that info.

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 am

Had to go out but I see you were able to log in. Everything looks and works great now. Not sure if you noticed that AV_9 did not populate but that was because I entered the wrong ip address. Thank you for all your help and nice work, as always.

Stan

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 am

What do I have wrong with this?

{{av_{{av_activedvr_{{clientname}}}}_channel}}~620~60

My av_activedvr variable populates correctly by using:

"SetVariable|AV_ActiveDVR_{{Clientname}}~{{av_3<<4,5,etc>>_alias}}"

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:02 am

{{av_activedvr_{{clientname}}}} has to resolve to a number that represents the ID of the device (1,2,3,4,etc.). It looks like you are setting it to an alias which is the name AV1.

You could use the new MLServer command FamilyBrowse to dynamically build the list of available DVRs and then you could create a pick list from that. FamilyBrowse was created to let you browse members of a particular family by certain criteria. The thought was that you could build a dynamic menu of family items and then select one for processing. We primarially had lighting in mind when we added this but it can apply to any family.

The syntax of the command, which is also in Command Builder, is
FamilyBrowse|<<FamilyName>>~<<BrowseClass>>~<<PageCmd>>>~<<ItemsPerPage>>~<<Optional Filter>>
where:
<<FamilyName>> = Any one of the 11 defined families
<<BrowseClass>> = Zones (returns the unique list of locations where the devices live) or Items (returns the items)
<<PageCmd>>> = First,Prev,Next,Last,Current
<<ItemsPerPage>> = 1 to n
<<Optional Filter>> = Additional filter to be applied to narrow the search results

In your case you would use FamilyBrowse|AV~Items~First~5~driver=DirecTVIP

This would generate a list of all AV family devices that belong to the DirecTVIP driver.

FamilyBrowse will create a series of server variables like
{{familybrowse_<<FAMILYNAME>>_item_<<N>>_Address_<<CLIENTNAME>>}}
{{familybrowse_<<FAMILYNAME>>_item_<<N>>_ID_<<CLIENTNAME>>}}
{{familybrowse_<<FAMILYNAME>>_item_<<N>>_Level_<<CLIENTNAME>>}}
{{familybrowse_<<FAMILYNAME>>_item_<<N>>_Name_<<CLIENTNAME>>}}
{{familybrowse_<<FAMILYNAME>>_item_<<N>>_Visible_<<CLIENTNAME>>}}

If you went down this path the final command that would get executed when you selected the DVR would be

SetVariable|av_activedvr_{{clientname}}~{{familybrowse_av_item_<<N>>_ID_{{clientname}}}}

This might be a little overkill for the DirecTV page but it does serve as a good introduction for FamilyBrowse. When it's all said and done make sure that {{av_activedvr_{{clientname}}}} resolves to a device ID and not a name.

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks Dave. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Wasn't even aware of FamilyBrowse command and without your explanation, I never would have figured that out. My variables are now populating as I wanted, however there seems to be a problem as I am "missing" 2 DVRs. I am using CycleStates to cycle through the active dvrs. In family manager my DVRs are entered as 3 through 9. In my SetVariable command for the active dvr I am using...... SetVariable|av_activedvr_{{clientname}}~familybrowse_av_item_<1 through 7>_ID{{clientname}}}}. As I cycle through the dvrs, I can see dvrs 3-7 but not 8 and 9. If I continue three more button presses, it begins again with dvr 3, etc. I suspect it is because my dvrs start with 3, and my SetVariables start with 1 ? Tried changing the SetVariable commands to start with 3, but that did not work.

Because I have 7 DVRs, I am using the command:

FamilyBrowse|AV~Items~First~7~driver=DirecTVIP

Thanks again,
Stan

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Yes it is because you start at 3. I'll have to look at that.

In the meantime consider this

Macro|FamilyBrowse|AV~Items~Next~1~driver=DirecTVIP!SetVariable|av_activedvr_{{clientname}}~{{familybrowse_av_item_1_ID_{{clientname}}}}

As a direct replacement for the cyclestates command.

This will page through the DirecTV boxes one at a time and each time you page it will set the activedvr variable. This way you never need to know the ID or how many DVRs you have. It will all dynamically update if DVRs are added or removed.

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Works great, thankyou. I think I'm catching on!

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 am

An observation. The new command you offered is working, however I noticed when watching the variables during button presses the "familybrowse_av_item_1_id_server1" value and "activedvr" value changes in a cycle sequence of 3,9,6,4,7,8,5. It appears that it is cycling alphabetically based on my dvr names (values) in "familybrowse_av_item_<1-9>_name_server1". Is this how it should work?

Now that I have somewhat of an understanding how this works, I will start updating my directv scenes in MLobby and the designer unless you recommend I wait for any updates in the pipeline.

Stan

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Stan it does sort by alias and not item #? So what you are seeing is by design. However, it could be switched to sort by item # if that is more logical.

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”