AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Roku Device Driver

Fri May 30, 2014 4:12 pm

A device driver for Roku Players has been released. This driver, a member of the AV Family, will give you remote control of all Roku functions. Including launching of the apps installed on your Roku player.

There is no configuration required for this driver. Once installed it will automatically discover your Roku players on the network and add them into Family Manager as AV devices. The iPad and Android apps have a sample Roku control scene.

This driver CANNOT launch a Netflix or Amazon movie from a MainLobby UI on a Roku player. It CAN launch the Netflix or Amazon app but the command parameter required to tell the app what movie to play remains a deep dark secret that remains to be uncovered.

The driver will query each Roku player to get its list of installed apps. Here is the sample scene.
Attachments
Roku.jpg
Roku control
Roku.jpg (179.08 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Re: Roku Device Driver

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:37 am

Is it possible to allow a way to manually add the Roku devices? I have 5 Roku devices, 3 version 1 and 2 version 2, and none of them are discovered. It's not a problem with the driver as the Roku Android remote has the same problem, they don't seem to respond to the broadcast query. I tried to get support from Roku on this but all I ever got was turn it off wait turn on again.

Bottom line is it possible to have a way to enter the device manually, right now if I add it to the Family Manager and put in the IP address, in the Driver it show up but as offline.

Thanks

Ron

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am

You can add them manually you just have to make sure you pick the port they are using. It looks like all the Rokus I've seen so far are using port 8060. What port were you entering? Do you have network discovery enabled on your MLServer PC?

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:02 pm

I hadn't put the port in. I'll add port 8060 and see how it goes. Thanks for the quick reply.

snickers1

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:48 pm

picked up a roku today seams to almost fully work

not able to control it from the ipad

also getting error in mlserver

Dave the good news is that problem i was dealing with plex not seeing the clients well it can the roku as a client!!!! so that is good news :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 12.45.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 12.45.31 PM.png (65.45 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 12.44.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 12.44.36 PM.png (636.76 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Is this the first AV Family device you created? If so restart MLServer one more time. Otherwise check in the licensing to make sure the AV Family is still licensed and that you do have an AV device #4. One of these three cases is true.

snickers1

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:57 pm

i let it mlserver auto detect the roku just as you said in the first post

i rebooted mlserver and checked licences and nothing is showing expired

here is what av family looks like
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 12.55.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-05 at 12.55.55 PM.png (85.92 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Your Roku is AV device #11. Did you change the sample scene to so that when you click on the Roku #1 button that it sets the {{av_activeroku_{{clientname}}}} server variable to #11? I think this is what your issue is. Also check the startup macro on that scene as that is where it is getting set to #4 by default. On my server my Roku is AV device #4.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:03 pm

And one more thing. It looks like you have only let Plex discover the Roku. That's good for playing movies via Plex but if you want total control of the Roku player you'll need to install the Roku driver and have it discover the Roku player too. Note that this will create another AV Family device that is assigned to the Roku driver. This is the AV device # you want to use on the Roku scene.

snickers1

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:14 pm

sent you message with Teamviewer password :)

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:03 pm

I see my LG TV's fine and can stream directly to them by enabling automatic media share. They will not play ISO's > problem 1 - not a ROKU thing but there may be a workaround.

Bought ROKU SE's to add, the driver see them, but I can't pick the device and tell it to "play" > problem 2 - I get no response at all
Installed pled driver thinking I need this to make ROKU work correctly? Added a line in family manager with all the same info except said to use plex driver. This was no help.

What are the intentions of these drivers? I want to point on my touchscreen and make it play - no fuss.

Also, seems dune is the only thing I can find to play 3D ISO's - anyone know anything else that does that?

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:02 pm

The Roku driver simply emulates a Roku remote. They have a very limited api so we cannot do much more than emulate the remote.

The mediaserver/mediaplayer drivers act in unison to stream media to compatible DLNA devices. A Roku player is not a compatible DLNA device.

I believe PowerDVD will play 3D blu-ray isos.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Ok. I thought I could make a roku act like a dlna device with plex or some other tweaking. Powerdvd is fine, but requires a pc at each tv, or a distribution setup. Been there, not reliable.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:27 am

Roku and Plex are not full DLNA media renderers. There are a slew of Android TV devices (NOT Chromecast) out there that you can install real DLNA media renderers on that can be used for streaming. That would be a good option.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Ok. I have 2 dunes, but the lack of support from them is making me think twice about buying more. The holy grail is one that can do amazon, netflix, and render videos with full ISO support, and menus allowing subs, 3D iso support. And let's not forget directly playing the amazon and netflix content. I have yet to find such a beast.
Seems android-based units do quite a bit, but google hates amazon and won't include their player and therefore that's not an option.

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”