Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:44 pm

thank you that works

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Re: Lighting

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Blade,

I use your plugin to control lighting with myDesigner. I am enclosing some screen shots. Works well and instant - I call HS to turn on/off lights - dimmers work too. Let me know if you need source files/more information and I would be happy to share.

I use HS for backend items - I love the GUI of the "my" suite, but I also like HS for its' raw control - especially Z-Wave. Like you, I got a ton of $ in both so I am OK with it...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 11.21.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 11.21.25 PM.png (335.29 KiB) Viewed 464 times
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 11.26.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 11.26.37 PM.png (1.76 MiB) Viewed 464 times

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 pm

"I also like HS for its' raw control - especially Z-Wave"

Can you provide some more details on why?
We have the myZWave controller working with the Lighting family.
It seems super fast to us. And not sure what it doesn't do.
Any feedback? We would like to have great ZWave support and if we are missing something, would love to add it.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:15 am

I need zigbee sopport too....otherwise I would use the myzwave controller.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Well, let me give you my perspective - I have been users of both HS/ML for 10 years+ - a couple years ago (well, maybe 3), I was going to go to one system - I thought that would be best because it was a pain managing both. I intially went with HS because I liked their ability to manage devices - their event and trigger structure I feel is more polished and easier to manage - and, there are multiple developers (a lot of updates, very active community). In ML (now Allonis), it was very challenging to emulate that capability. But, then, HS touch was a horrible experience. I couldn't get basic scenes working that were simple in ML. So, then I decided to go all-in with ML.

Well, that proved to be a challenge. I used Vera as a Z-wave controller - big mistake. Slow, difficult to manage my network, unpredictable. I have ~200 Z-Wave devices in a large setting (I now have 3 Z-Net's). And, I was frustrated with ML lockups and delays. I noticed that ML plugins would frequently stall the server - this has probably all been addressed but at that time, it was a big problem. The scenes were beautiful (I paid Dave's wife to design them), but very unpredictable response. Poor WAF.

So, while I was going through all this, HS released the Z-Net controller and Blade released is HSBL plugin (I used Krumpy's but it had some lingering issues which was another factor in me trying to find a single solution. - he stopped development).

The Z-Net is fantastic - supports the new + standard, and the tools and management are super. You can connect them together to cover large areas. It is Ethernet accessible. In HS, I have visibility of my network - know where to optimize, can configure many attributes and it is FAST. 2-way is instant. Oh, and it supports every Z-Wave device I throw at it (sensors, thermostats, valves, IO, etc.) - I have much more than lighting on my Z-Wave network and that to me is one of the best reasons for Z-Wave - its' diversity of offerings.

I have "never" had HS stall - it seems their engine is truly multi-threaded. I still don't get that in ML - if I have weather, Global Cache, Russound and Sonos plugins active in ML, I get lockups. I spent days trying to identify why but all I know now is that I have ML instant and the only way was to turn off weather (I actually use a weather plugin in HS and send those variables to ML now) and my stalls stopped. I shifted all the low-level control elements to HS including Russound and Global cache. Ever since, all stalls are gone. When I do have active session, it works great (in another thread I am discussing that issue).

So, my happy place now is to use ML for interface and control that doesn't exist in HS (Yamaha and DirectTV plugins for instance as they doesn't have a HS counterpart)

On ML, I wish the UI was a truly device driven experience - iPhone/iPad native app controls and instant no matter what. I think that would be the best asset of the software. My $0.02, there is only one Dave - and for him to try to stay current on the entire population of drivers/controllers seems to be a loosing battle and distracts from what is unique (the interface). Become a front-end and focus on the UI experience - minimize the backend and leverage the other systems out there. Allonis can be the front-end to all this madness. Even Alexia connectivity to Allonis would be huge - basically focussing on all things UI including voice interaction, app interaction, etc. I would even lean on Plex/Kodi for media management too - I mean, they are so far ahead and have a huge community - why compete with that?

Probably more that you asked but there you go!

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanx Rileydog,
Was all of that testing done in myServer? ("v5")

I see you reference ML...but certainly that could be due to old habits hard to die...

We don't see that in myServer.

If that experience was with ML3/4...it would be interesting to move stuff to myServer to see if that holds true. We think it will fair well.

Not sure how much effort that is to simplify on your system but curious on any feedback that arises.

Thanx for the detailed write up!!!

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond myServer?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:39 pm

I appreciate the information

I use BLML2HS to send devices as they change in HomeSeer to myServer and it creates variables in myServer for the devices in HomeSeer. I can also execute device changes and scripting calls in HomeSeer from BLML2HS in myServer

Is there a document that tells me how to update the plugin to V5 and do what you said about making it a Lighting Driver. I could add more to the plugin to link the variables I create to lighting devices.

I appreciate any information you can provide.
Thanks Dave

-Bob
I was wondering if anything has ever come of this as I am using the plugin through myServer to Homeseer and back to control my zwave devices. With the new modern UI being released I was wondering if I can use the features of the UI/myserver without having to completely redo the lighting scenes, or import my own scenes and just do what I have always been doing.

Blade
Expert
Expert

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 am

Dave wrote a driver to interface to BLML2HS for lighting, fans, climate, etc. I made changes to work with his driver as well.

With the new UI Dave had much of his time focused on that so he did not have time to work on this but just sent me a new build this week that I need to do some testing on.

I will think about how to roll this out this weekend so others can test as well.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 pm

When Bob gives the thumbs up on the V5 Homeseer driver one of its features is that it will discover your existing Homeseer lighting and climate devices and create native myServer Family Manager objects out of them thereby making them compatible with all our sample scenes and apps. The driver does the translation in the background between what myServer and Homeseer need to see.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 am

Count me in on the beta testing. I was just looking at my Modern interface with only my UPB and Wink lights showing in the interface. The majority of my lights are z-wave and working through the Z-net in HS3.
Simon D. S. Mason

sonypoolplr

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm

I am willing to try it as well. Looking forward to it.

Blade
Expert
Expert

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm

I have released the new BLML2HS Homeseer plugin to the HS3 updater for all users

On the options page, you will see a new option (see attached) to specify a port for the HomeSeer Allonis driver
Pick a port you are not using and then install the new HomeSeer driver on the Allonis side (which Dave will release shortly) and enter the ip address and port into the HomeSeer driver of you HS3 machine

Here is the BLML2HS HomeSeer plugin
2017-08-22_16-55-59.jpg
2017-08-22_16-55-59.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 316 times

Here is the HomeSeer Allonis driver
2017-08-22_17-04-24.jpg
2017-08-22_17-04-24.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Hope that makes sense

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:44 pm

The V5 Homeseer driver is now available for download. Once you sync with the Homeseer plugin you should see all your Homeseer lighting and climate devices created as native Family Manager Lighting and Climate devices. This driver has only been tested on Blade's system so we are very interested in knowing how it works on your system.

sonypoolplr

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:10 am

I download both updates on my systems, restarted both HS and myServer, set the server port for both and tried using my "old" scenes that I setup using BLML2HS|HS-ControlDevice~513~On and the commands no longer work. If I go into the BLML2HS app events tab I see that the app received the command, but nothing happens. If I go into the new modern ui scenes I see all my devices and they are controllable from there. When I control them from the modern ui I do not see anything in the BLMS2HS app events tab. What I am seeing is a lot of client disconnects and then reconnects. Also in the family device driver of myServer for Homeseer I am seeing a lot of device change lines. I have attached the log file to show this.

So my first question is, we are now unable to control devices using "BLML2HS|HS-ControlDevice~513~On" ? If so, what commands do we use for controlling these devices in myServer inside the command macros, automation rules etc.?

The HS side of the plugin never shows the BLML2HS client connecting, even though the myServer side shows the connection gets re-established. The only change I made was adding the port number for the new connection as I left the existing one alone.

This is what the BLML2HS app is showing:

Received ML2HS Cmd: HS-ControlDevice~513~Off from client: MyClient1
10Received ML2HS Cmd: HS-ControlDevice~513~Off from client: MyClient1
10Client disconnected by server... connection will be re-established when available
10Received ML2HS Cmd: HS-ControlDevice~003D0C47-084-Q32~Off from client: w1000156
10Received ML2HS Cmd: HS-ControlDevice~003D0C47-084-Q32~Off from client: w1000156
10Client connection established to BLML2HS HomeSeer plug-in
10Client disconnected by server... connection will be re-established when available
10Client connection established to BLML2HS HomeSeer plug-in
HomeSeer-8-23-2017.log
(279.35 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Blade
Expert
Expert

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 pm

This should still work as none of that has changed

BLML2HS|HS-ControlDevice~513~On

That is very strange
I will have to try that here and see if it works for me