albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Purchasing a projector.... what one to get for control

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:18 pm

As the subject line states. I am looking at getting a new projector for my theater room (converted bedroom), I am looking for ideas as to which is a good one for control with Allonis. I personally like the Epson brand of projectors, but I am curious as to what everyone else utilizes. The lumens requirement is about 3000 lumens. And I would like to go with an LED projector. I do not have a serial interface near the projector so I am looking for ethernet for control.

Thank you

Synergy_Tech

Re: Purchasing a projector.... what one to get for control

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 pm

The Epson Pro Cinema series is a personal favorite of mine. I think Allonis has a driver for them but I haven't used it yet, just infra-red.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:50 pm

What price range and features are you looking for for? Don't forget we are dealers for most brands. Of course any we sell we will provide driver support. Take a look at the new JVC line of 4k. Depending on price class...Might be available now or soon. Let me know your range and we will get you the info. Thanx for the consideration!!!

philnye

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 am

Hello albright_family,

I currently use an LCoS SXRD projector from Sony that I am very happy with (VPL-HW45ES) for my theater area with a 110" screen. I have yet to connect it to myServer but there is a driver already available for it. I know you are looking for LCD but I thought I'd still chime in just in case you broaden your search for lower cost 1080p/3d projectors. In my case, I chose this model for gaming as it has one of the lowest lag delays in the video circuit available as well as being one of the quietest projectors out there. My previous projector was an Infocus ScreenPlay SP5000 LCD which was basically 720p on a 78" screen that worked but my Sony is so much quieter and with the bump in resolution the image is fantastic.

A thought on control, if you have a CAT5 cable to the projector, you can always run serial over CAT5 with baluns or if you are stuck with only wi-fi, you can always use a Global Cache wi-fi to serial for control as most projectors with TCP/IP control are in the higher model lines and higher price points should you be budget minded.

Just my $0.02,
Phil Kosarek
a.k.a. philnye

Return to “General Home Automation Topics”