randyf

Lyric Information

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:23 pm

When playing a song via myMusic, when I am on the Now Playing page, and I click the Lyrics button, the text that is shown is truncated the majority of the time with an ellipse at the end ( ... ). In reviewing the log output, I noticed that the API version of lyrics.wikia.com is being used to get the lyrics and if I use the URL found in the log file to navigate directly, the lyrics are being returned truncated with the ellipse at the end. Is this something that can be fixed somehow?

Another thought I had as an enhancement to this area, would be to have a place in the database to store the lyrics and then display them using the local storage instead of always getting them from the lyric site. This would help in those cases where the lyrics for a song cannot be found or if there were typos/edits that we wanted to make to the lyrics. The myContent application could have the ability to edit this information as well. The way I thought it could work would be:

1. New song plays.
2. When displaying lyrics, check to see if the information is already stored locally - if so, display the local version of the lyrics.
3. If no local version of the lyrics exists, go to the web site to get the information and display it, but also then store it locally for that song, so that next time, it will display from the local storage.

Thanks

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Re: Lyric Information

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:31 pm

I've toyed with the idea of caching lyrics locally and the reason I have not done it yet is the high number of incorrect lyrics found. Hopefully when wrong wikia fixes them but when a wrong one gets cached locally then it becomes every customer responsibility to fix them.

randyf

Re: Lyric Information

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Maybe include an option for each of us to decide if we want to cache locally? That way, it's our choice if we want to do that or not. The default behavior would be to not cache locally.

Thanks

Return to “myMusic”