kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

More user friendly method of cataloging dvds

Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:24 am

I'd really like to see a more user friendly ML/DVDLobby UI for cataloging DVD's. The ability to catalog a DVD from inside DVD Lobby instead of having to do it through MLServer.

I'm thinking of clients...I don't want them monkeying around inside ML server. Today ran into this issue when showing a client how to add movies....you should have seen the blank look on his face as I said "OK, you have to right click on this icon in the system tray and expand it, then right click on DvdLobby under the "plugins" menu, then click...... you get the idea"

A touchscreen cataloging interface or something front end would be very beneficial. On this note, I'd like to be able to show clients they can catalog a movie from a "client PC or Tablet"...not just the primary MLServer PC.

My Movies on MCE is a pretty good example of what I'm getting at. It's accesable right from the UI.

AFTerry

From a client's perspective...

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:02 am

From a "client's" perspective while we're on the subject, I totally agree with the above... further, I'd like to see the input:
1) more input/keyboard friendly. It's slightly awkward and time consuming to have to use both the keyboard and the mouse,
2) allow for multiple lookups at one time,
3) Data check to alert if the same movie is already in the db, and
4) Data check to see if the same slot is already entered.

Probably asking for a programer's nightmare, but that's the beauty of not knowing what I'm asking for.

On a complaint side can you address the annoying and time consuming Categories input. (Time consuming to fix!) The program adds incorrect categories more than it adds the correct ones. I assume that's not a Cinemar issue, but rather the DB we're downloading from, but wanted to mention it.

I feel bad mentioning these things since the rest of the program is so gd wonderful... but this thread exists so, I thought I'd throw my humble 2 cents in.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:35 am

All of that is well in process. Stay Tuned.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:30 am

You know what would be perfect is duplicated how CD ripping automatically gets the CD data....just for DVD's instead. Every single one of my clients moving forward will be pure digital. It has to be simple.

So: Rip Movie
Keep DVD in drive and click some sort of button in DVD lobby that will then read the disc and automatically get the data.

How about this one step further, since the rip automatically creates the folder name why not use this to automatically find out where the .vob folder is?

Another nice thing would be to not have to put the .vob filename in the link...just the fold and DVD lobby know's to look for the first .vob.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Note that pulling data from DVDs in a Sony 777 has been discussed as "coming"... whereas anything to do with "ripping" a DVD has also been discussed and concluded that it will not be done so that Cinemar can stay in business rather than become a speed bump for Sony Pictures and whomever else. I tend to think that's a wise idea.

Now... that said... something that looked at the folder names or ISO names or such to determine what non-copy-protected, hard-drive-based content someone might have seems perfectly legit to me. :wink:

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:18 pm

gregory,

I know this is not the place but sheesh I am so sick of the DVD personal backup issue. There is no difference between a CD and a DVD. Both are media content. I am still suprised this issue is out there. There's a big "RIP" button on Media Player for audio....what a joke. It's really a shame that the movie companies have can put so much scare legally into something that legally is a real grey area. And by doing so are really stiffleing the growth and seamless integration of home entertainment for the consumer. I've bought my DVD and now I want to back it up so my kids don't scratch it and I have to buy it again...that of course is what the movie companies want ;)

You know http://www.kaleidescape.com/) video server systems automatically rip and catalog your dvds...for $20K+ though it'a pricy solution but to some worth it because it's "hassle free" cataloging.
Last edited by kevind on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:39 pm

kevind,
We won't ask you to spend $20K on our better solution :)

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Smooth,

Had no intention to spend 20K+ and get stuck with proprietary hardware/software configurations.... "I swear allegiance to Cinemar and all things MainLobby!" :wink:

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:03 pm

kevind, I agree with you completely. Convince the courts and we can all get on with what seems to be incredibly obvious to many of us. In the mean time, remember that I'm just the messenger... and I'm no happier about the message than you. :evil:

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:01 am

Well put. I'd love to take the world on but somehow I just can't find the time :lol:

alexzogh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm

There is no difference between a CD and a DVD. Both are media content.

uhh.. there is one big difference.... the DVD spec has encryption, redbook audio does not. This one difference changes everything in the US thanks to legislation called DMCA. Breaking decryption without the copyright holders authorization is illegal, trumping personal backup and fair use case law.

One of the reasons why KS system is so expensive is they are licensee's of Macrovision and CSS as well the primary methods used to secure DVD's - this is very expensive and still didn't stop the lawsuits from arriving at their doorstep.

Frankly, it's a terrible situation. I've resorted to recording most of my archived movies from Cable, and keep three server's ripping HD content 7/24 as I know the firewire ports on my cable boxes, as well as my dish5000 satellite box will eventually be retired in favor of something that will be approved by the movie studios.

What's funny is in my house, when a movie get's queued up from one of my changers (1200 original dvd's and counting!), my wife thinks there's something wrong with the system because it takes so long. I've had to put a fair amount of double-click error checking, as well as a client pop-up to stop people from backing up the system with button presses. The one "sanctioned" purchasable medium is the worst one in my system.
Alex D Zoghlin

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:57 am

Amen. :evil:

alexzogh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:43 am

There is good news on this subject.....

A judge just ruled against the DVD CCA in a case against Kalaidascape, a dvd jukebox manufacturer, this *may* lead to more companies providing tools to allow for "legal" ways to rip movies to a hard drive (while keeping it encrypted). More likely, it will result in a re-write of the contracts, and a huge delay in AACS'S limited copy functions they were planning on rolling out.

Here's the story:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/show ... =198701186

One thing to remember: Kaleidescape is a licensee of CCA's, so this was a case of contract interpretation, not a "right to all" for ripping content.
Alex D Zoghlin

Return to “DVDLobby Feature Requests”