Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Pandora playing to remote Raspberry PI

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am

I have a situation that calls for playing a Pandora and/or Internet Radio stream to a remote Raspberry PI. Is it possible to play these audio streams to a remote Raaspberry PI via Kodi or something similar?

I played around and it didn’t seem that the Pandora or Internet Radio drivers could play to a remote DLNA device or couldn’t get it to work.

Thx.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Re: Pandora playing to remote Raspberry PI

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:07 pm

OK, back home now.

What I have tried before is to configure (like Radio #5) as a "is DLNA" device and entered the IP address of the PI as the remote name. Then sent command to Pandora or Internet Radio #5 to play a stream. It never started playing the stream on the PI with Kodi running.

I might have made a mistake in configuration. Certainly possible. But before I pound my head against the wall further, it would be nice to hear whether or not this is supposed to work.

Thx.

Synergy_Tech
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 am

I think rather than an IP address, when you're using DLNA you need to use the item # in family manager that is discovered by the mediaserver driver.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Synergy is correct. Must point to a valid mediaplayer device ID.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Ok, just tried it without success.

* The Kodi media renderer is recognized in family manager as item #16 with friendly name of "Kodi (raspberrypi)". Driver is Kodi and model is Media Renderer. As far as I know, I have enabled all of the remote control features in Kodi.

* Pandora station #1 is configured as remote audio zone as "is dlna device" and remote name is "16" which refers to item #16 in family manager.

* When I play a station on Pandora #1 it does not play audio on the PI which is configured to play out via HDMI.

Windows firewall is off.

Is there anything special that needs to be done other than instantiate "play"?

Any thoughts?

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 pm

OK, might be getting somewhere here as it still isn't working for me but found something.

Am I correct that the Pandora radios configuration doesn't become active or updated until the Pandora server app is "closed"?

My point being that I can successfully get Pandora to play a stream using regular audio device. In this scenario I start a stream, then when switching the Pandora radio to "remote audio zone" and configuring it, it doesn't seem to actually activate the new setting until the Pandora app is closed. In other words, it continues to play the stream using the sound card device until getting the new configuration when the app is closed.

Playing around more... Got something to work. The key appears to be that the Allonis Pandora server app needs to be closed to get its new configuration.

Is this accurate that the new configuration is not activated until the app is closed? If so, I would suggest that some sort of notice is provided to the user.

Is this true for Internet Radio, and the others as well? If so, the notice to the user should be presented there as well.

Thx for the help.

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Did you turn on UPnP and remote control from within kodi?

Synergy_Tech
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm pretty sure if you start making changes to a particular source while the music is playing, it will stop. I've noticed this with all the music applets. To be safe, make a change, restart server and then test.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks for the help! - I'll work with Dave and David offline to share my experiences.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 pm

By the way David, since this is working, I should now be able play the audio remote to the boat via VPN... Too bad this wasn't working when you guys were on the boat a few weeks ago... It's just amazing that this software allows one to do with a little custom modification/networking....

Now I need an Allonis flag to hoist on the boat during the next rave... "Allonis" powered...

Return to “Pandora”