RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Problem with updating weather alert bulletins

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:49 pm

I have been seeing a problem displaying the alert bulletin on my clients for quite a while. I decided to dig into this a bit today.

All clients are running the exact same html scene.

{{weather_activealert_{{clientname}}}} is "1" on all clients, which is correct.

The actual alert is: {{weather_alert{{weather_activealert_{{clientname}}}}_type}}, which is {{weather_alert1_type}} which is "Frost Advisory", which is correct, and this is displayed correctly on all clients.

The bulletin is {{weather_alert{{weather_activealert_{{clientname}}}}_bulletin}}, which becomes {{weather_alert1_bulletin}}. The myServer variable for this is actually correct, and corresponds to the current frost advisory. However, the bulletin is not being displayed correctly on all clients. On a couple of clients, the bulletin matches the myServer variable. However, on the majority of the clients it's an ancient (September? October?) bulletin for a heat advisory for the local area. In looking at all the myServer weather_* variables, none of them match this heat advisory bulletin text. I have no idea where this text could (now) be coming from.

- Roman
Roman

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Re: Problem with updating weather alert bulletins

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm

No biggie... I think that this has been like this for a while,,,

Here, when there is an alert, it will display the bulletin regarding Navajo county and something from Flagstaff, Az regarding flash flood from last July. If one opens the weather alert page then you will see it for a split second as the page loads. When there is an alert than it will display that instead of the real bulletin.

Trust me, here in Minneapolis we have everything and anything at the moment except a flash flood at the moment. Note: It's too cold to rain!

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Well, the problem I see here is that there is a single alert (a frost warning) that is valid. On some clients, the frost alert is displayed correctly, and on other clients the old incorrect heat alert is displayed. This isn't a good thing, it seems to me.

There's a reason I live in San Diego -- I grew up in Winnipeg.

- Roman
Roman

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:04 pm

I suspect what is happening is that the alert page was edited in the designer when there was an active alert. When the page was saved the text for that alert was saved with the page and then became the default. You can verify that by opening the html in notepad. Because of the compound nature of the variables on the alert page selecting an alert causes a page refresh and if the text box does not update properly you will end up seeing the old alert text.

Try recreating the text box that holds the alert by doing a copy / paste / delete original operation. Also edit the page with no active alert showing. Does this fix the issue?

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 pm

I looked at the html, and indeed the ancient heat alert was the default value.

I did the copy / delete / paste operation as you suggested (with no alert extant). It appears that the "Copy" operation also copied the default value, so this did not fix the issue.

So I just recreated the text box from scratch, and everything seems fine. I checked the html and there is now no default value.

I guess there is still some sort of underlying issue why the "text box does not update properly" when the default value was present, but it's not there now.

Thanks for your help.

- Roman
Roman

Return to “Weather”