charger28

Custom Web Page Development

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 pm

I wanted to reach out to this forum get some feedback/opinions/information regarding the creation of web pages to control my home. I originally purchased Homeseer and used the web-based pages to control my homes lighting, temperature, security, etc. I quickly found that MainLobby scenes would take the visual interface to the next level. I purchased ML and created scenes that I now use for my control when I am at home. I would love to extend the professional look/feel of ML to flash-based web pages that can be used to control my home from the internet.

I did some research on both the Homeseer and ML forums and realized that there has not been a lot discussion in this arena. From a technical perspective, it does appear that web pages can be created to interface with ML or Homeseer. I have reviewed the samples provided in the .../html folder of ML and it seems like the barriers appear to be more around the time/effort needed to generate the web pages. I am currently trying to gather information to determine if it is worth the effort. I have a series of questions/statements that I am looking for feedback on. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I also think that a professional looking web-based interface would be a great addition to my overall solution and may eventually have commercial potential to sell to secondary home owners to control/monitor their homes remotely.

1) I would like to have a uniform look between both my ML scenes and website. Is there any way to utilize the existing flash objects contained within the ML libraries in the web page?
2) Is it best to interface directly w/ Homeseer (events, scripts, state info, etc.) or interface directly w/ ML? HS is interfacing with all of my lights, cameras and thermostats so I am assuming that I should communicate directly with it. Can HS handle calls from a web page? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to this?
3) Any advice on web page development? Javascript, ASP, ASP.NET?
4) I am assuming I will also need to utilize AJAX technology for accessing current state information (volume, light status, etc.). Anything I should take into account for this?

Any thoughts/advice on this would be great. I don’t have a lot of experience in HA or web development but I thought this would be a great addition to my overall HA solution.

Jeff Beck

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:38 pm

Jeff,

1) I would like to have a uniform look between both my ML scenes and website. Is there any way to utilize the existing flash objects contained within the ML libraries in the web page?

No, no reuse today of your MainLobby scenes and Cinemar flash graphic libraries via the webserver. But, you can run a RDP or Logmein.com connection to a PC in your home running the Flash MainLobby3 Client application. For remote purposes, that aren't primary means to control one's house, this works very well and is secure.

2) Is it best to interface directly w/ Homeseer (events, scripts, state info, etc.) or interface directly w/ ML? HS is interfacing with all of my lights, cameras and thermostats so I am assuming that I should communicate directly with it. Can HS handle calls from a web page? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to this?

Since you have Homeseer and MainLobby, you have the flexibility to do either. If MainLobby Server has a plugin for a piece of hardware that HS doesn't then use what works. visa versa too. Some things (like a lighting controller) are best run in MainLobby3 Server for responsiveness to the touchscreens, especially Dim control using a graphical slider.

3) Any advice on web page development? Javascript, ASP, ASP.NET?

Follow the HTML examples. Expand on them as the technical hard work is now done.

4) I am assuming I will also need to utilize AJAX technology for accessing current state information (volume, light status, etc.). Anything I should take into account for this?

Follow the HTML examples. That's why they are there. There is AJAX examples (like the new iPhone scenes) and there is a non AJAX (the PPC example). If your display hardware supports AJAX, then go that path as it provides dynamic updates (no manual or timed refresh needed).

charger28

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. Thank you especially for your recommendation of logmein.com. I did not realize that there was such a robust product out there in terms of remote control of a pc. I am going to look into that and I'll provide some feedback when/if I have some that may be beneficial to the forum. Thanks again!

Return to “Homeseer”