gstone
Expert
Expert

Computer output?

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Is anyone using a computer asoneof the sources on a Videostorm?

If so, howdo you have it connected?
Always ask! You can't stay dumb forever!

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:52 pm

What VideoStorm and what is the best Video connection does it support?
So, if it supports component video, then you would use a component video graphics card (ATI has a few including the new 2400 / 2600 series).

If DVI, then DVI to VideoStorm and then DVI to Plasma / projector.

If HDMI then ATI 2600 graphics card HDMI to switcher to HDMI Plasma / LCD, etc.

gstone
Expert
Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:54 pm

I don't have the video storm yet so I guess the question is also which one do I buy?

As for the computer I have several video cards so component, dvi, or HDMI are options. But from what I understand if I use dvi or HDMI then the rest of my component connections are not switchable with it. In other words if I get a VS with the digital board, and the computer is pluged into the digital board via dvi or HDMI then the out put must come from the digital board and connot be mixed with the rest of the component outs.

If the above is true then I would just prefer to get a VS like the CRM84 without the digitalboard.

My inputs will be a computer(MCE), dvd player, 2 digital cableboxes, and 1 satellite box. All with component outs and optical sound. So in this config would any of the 4 component outs, and optical connects be switchable to any of the devices I have connected?

mcascio

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 am

gstone,

That is correct, the digital board only switches between its own board and is unable to be shared with the other component outputs.

I've standardized all computers in use to use componennt output by picking the appropriate cards. Then any component output can view any component input.

New to the scene is the CRM88 if you think you'll go beyond 4 outputs.

gstone
Expert
Expert

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:48 am

I do have a ATI HD 2600 Pro. It comes with a s-vid to component adapter, will this work or is the quality going to be s-vid?

What is a good card to output componet quality signal through if the one I have above won't due?

Thanks!

DavidL
Founder
Founder

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:21 pm

I don't think that is SVideo to component. that is a connector that looks like Svideo style, but is actually passing HD component signals.

I just got same card, and will be testing same.

You can't go from svideo to component without svideo low quality

gstone
Expert
Expert

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:34 pm

Yeah I didn't think so.

So I ordered a couple ATI DVI to component adapters. They said they work with the HD 2000 family cards, so that should work.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:27 pm

I do have a ATI HD 2600 Pro. It comes with a s-vid to component adapter, will this work or is the quality going to be s-vid?
Likely the "S-Video" connector has more than 4 pins/holes, and the remaining pins are used to output component analog. This is the case with most cards with HD output.

I prefer the DVI to Component adapter though, it just "feels better" somehow, heh.
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

Return to “Video Storm”