Dave - this my little "What works" report for you;
1. Security modes with user ID's seem to work great
2. ByPass and Resets for Zones work
3. Status of everything works, but gets all tied up in its underware frequently.
4. thermostat commands- fan works - temp settings do not and I have been through this prior. You have a conversion error. In my tests 70f send 60f and so on.
5. Unit commands fail as noted
Overall - not bad, but the panel can only handle so much, and frequently has had enough and shuts down the link. It auto-restores, but it is not uncommon for the command queue to have 50 or more items waiting for a time slice.
Also, my very fast server is way slow due to this driver. It is certanily not optimized nor ready for production. My screens slow to a crawl and iTunes nearly stops.