Is there life beyond myServer?

Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:22 pm

From start to running, my mlserver is up in 3:35

just loaded 19018

startup with these commands in this order

execute login
request name data
init polling

Hopeful this startup sequence will be automated or will we need to include it as part of a system startup script?

Also, some little gotchas about the command loader in that it carries over fields from the previous command, such as requesting zone polling and then requesting unit polling. It will carry over the zones listing 1 ~ 176 instead of resetting to units 1~512. Very minor deal, but thought you might find it useful.

Also, sometimes it drops the 1 from the next command, so you get a request_status~~~512 instead of request_status~1~512

Maybe that's the error in the login test? Take a look to see if it drops the 1....
ChrisB

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:32 pm

You need to use the "Initialize_Polling" command to get things kicked off. This fires off an internal macro that does the following steps.

Request_System_Information
Request_System_Status
Request_Name_Data
DoZoneUpdates << Poll only named zones
DoUnitUpdates << Poll only named Units
DoTStatUpdates << Poll only named TStats
DoAuxiliaryUpdates << Poll defined aux zones
Request_Message_Status
Request_System_Events
Request_Status_Summary
Start_Polling

As you see there is a lot to getting things initialized. I'm still confused as to why this doesn't happen automatically as it is supposed to.

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:44 pm

I think I see part of the confusion in the command builder. It was not clearing the previous selection in the drop down boxes. Version 3.0.3088.22460 corrects that.

cborod

Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 am

love those updates!

Thanks!

Love this plugin!!! Seriously, it's a great leap forward.
ChrisB

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 am

You need to use the "Initialize_Polling" command to get things kicked off. This fires off an internal macro that does the following steps.

Request_System_Status
Request_Name_Data
Request_Message_Status
Request_System_Events
Request_Status_Summary
Start_Polling

As you see there is a lot to getting things initialized. I'm still confused as to why this doesn't happen automatically as it is supposed to.
Got it! Thanks Dave. It works well now. I simply am firing the init command about a min. after server restart. Also, the drop down box issue fixed the other problems associated with test commands.

AND :roll: I figured out after reading this post one of my issues. I have more things named in the HAI panel than what I use currently. All of that garbage is being polled. Now I know why. I need to go into the panel and delete the names of everything I do not use.

I will play more tonight and let you know what I find.
Thanks
Dave Bruner
:shock:

ricks

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi guys,

Nice work debugging. June is always my craziest month and had major water leak at home so haven't had much time to test. Thanks for all the tips so far.

As of now with the latest release, when I restart MLS, absolutely nothing happens with MLHAI. I've added the MLHAI|Initialize_Polling command to startup but still nothing. Am I reading this correctly? Do I need to add the following to startup with the current version? If so, what does DoZoneUpdates << Poll only named zones, etc mean? I don't see commands with those qualifiers.

Sorry I'm so far behind.
Rick
Request_System_Status
Request_Name_Data
Request_Message_Status
Request_System_Events
Request_Status_Summary
Start_Polling

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:38 pm

You just need to issue one command

MLHAI|Initialize_Polling

that's all. Please issue the command from the command builder in the plugin while watching the event log. Let us know what the event log says.

ricks

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks. I ran Initialize_polling in the command builder and evrything began to happen. Unfortunately it adds one variable to the variable list every 6-8 seconds. MLServer has ground to a near-halt. When I minimized MLServer to check the server's performance, cpu and memory were fine, but cannot get MLServer to maximize again. Have waited about 10 minutes and still won't maximize. Odd. Assuming the MLserver is bogged down trying to establish all these variables. Will wait 30 minutes or so to see if I can get MLServer to maximize again.

Rick

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:07 pm

What is your server configuration? I barely see the MLHAI plugin running on my servers.

ricks

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 pm

MLServer maximized after about 22 minutes. System is 3.4 GHz P4 with 2G memory. CPU utilization running 2-8% with occaisional spikes to 15%. MLserver averaging 0% with 2% spikes when cpu hits 15%. Definitely not a system issue.

When I had MLServer maximized any action as simple as highlighting a variable would take 1-2 minutes. I did notice that if I watched events in MLHAI it updated very slowly. Hitting the clear button scrolled the updates quicker. Hitting "stop logging" made it quicker still. Even though "write to log" wasn't checked, just having updates showing in the events window really slowed it down. MLServer still not running as fast as before but considerably better with "stop logging". Can "no logging" be set as a default upon startup?

On the earlier subject of MLHAI|Initialize_Polling, that command didn't work from MLServeCmd, only through command builder.

Thanks,
Rick

cborod

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:23 pm

wowsers, I'll echo the "not having THAT problem" with server sluggo. Yes, it takes a second per variable to build but I'm pulling a lot of stuff from the hai panel and I don't expect it to be instantaneous. Nor is it halting MLServer. In fact, MLServer was busily executing other commands and functions while MLHAI is setting up shop after a reboot.

I'll imagine the transition of MLHAI names (named variables) to a stored list rather than rebuild each time will cut the burden significantly.

Also, everyone, note that HAI seems to store away old info forever! I had three areas set up on a console, downgraded to one, but the old aarea info was retained.

Another observation that the variables for tamper zones appear to be stored in a higher zone register. For example, my zones tp at 176 but the panel reports zones aty 200+ that are used for system states. fire distress and taper states. You'll need to keep those in mind as you setup new panels and new interfaces as these likely move location box to box as zone and expansion zones are different.
ChrisB

ricks

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Had to take a few phone calls and when I returned to MLServer it was back to its normally speedy performance. I checked MLHAI events and there was an "unable to connect to panel via serial" message. No wonder it was so fast. :(

Restarted and I'll watch for how long before disconnecting again.

Rick

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:39 pm

I'll imagine the transition of MLHAI names (named variables) to a stored list rather than rebuild each time will cut the burden significantly.

Another observation that the variables for tamper zones appear to be stored in a higher zone register. For example, my zones tp at 176 but the panel reports zones aty 200+ that are used for system states. fire distress and taper states. You'll need to keep those in mind as you setup new panels and new interfaces as these likely move location box to box as zone and expansion zones are different.
Re Names; I still say ( and Dave is tired of me saying it) - this driver beggs for a database behind it. All this startup initialization stuff would be over with once and for all. Every other recent driver in ML/MLS has a database that works well. I still do not get it. Sorry Dave, you are a hell of a programmer, but I do not agree with this decission.

Re: Tamper zones; That is actually a hidden "feature" in HAI land. Everything is stored in a panel location. Many of those locations are hidden or re-directed via PC Access. What shows up in this driver is the literal location being exposed. I figured this one out when I did a driver for Vantage Controls.
Last edited by DaveB on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks
Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Dave - All is well so far with the latest version after it initialized. I did get the same result as ricks as the initialize command did not work outside of the test command area for some reason.
Thanks
Dave Bruner

AllonisDave
Founder
Founder

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:54 pm

As I said in a previous message there will be a database that will be tied to the plugin. I wanted to concentrate on communications and commands in the inital releases. The next release will have all your monitor choices stored in a local database. That's why there is a monitor column with the check boxes. The only thing this solves is the collection of named data on startup. This won't change the polling all that much.

When HAI releases there new SDK we'll be able to start to migrate away from the polling metaphor and that should bring added performace gains.

Return to “MLHAI Beta”